Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dishonesty, Betrayal, Brokenness, Estrangement, Death

The events of the last week and a half have caused me to see some things I don’t normally think so much about.

I see the effects of a father’s love withheld and realize how fortunate I am to have the love of the Father who will never fail me. I know my own father loves me, but not at all the way I have wanted or needed him to. I am grateful that I can love him regardless of that. I’m thankful to realize that I cannot control what others do, only how I react to what they do. I think about how important it is that all children have the love of a mother and father if at all possible. I am so thankful that with or without it, we have a God who loves us and can fill any void.

I see the effect of dishonesty and betrayal and realize how blessed I am to know that God is the one who makes honest, faithful men and women out of any of us. I am thankful that some who don’t yet know God through his Son, still listen to the Spirit he has given us to guide us. I am thankful that he has shown me forgiveness for my past and because of that I am able to forgive and extend mercy to those who hurt me. I am thankful that because of God’s love for me, I was finally able to recognize someone who is honest and faithful. I am so grateful that even when people do let us down or die, the God I love will carry us through anything as we rely upon him.

Death is the final equalizer. How often do we wait until it’s come around to rethink things? Why do we wait to forgive until it’s too late? How many of us will put off even considering Jesus at all until the very end, when he has the fullness of life ready and waiting for us right now?

No comments: