Monday, August 10, 2009

Fishing: Passionate Pursuit

My husband’s latest hobby is fishing, and as usual, he has set out to learn everything he can about it. I get to hear about lines, lures, and fishing holes… technique, tackle and tying knots… catfish, crappie and carp. He’s even trying his hand at fly fishing. I go with him a lot, but not nearly as much as he wants me to. I like to fish, but I just don’t have a passion for it like he does… most of the time, I go because I know he wants me to. I always have a great time, but sometimes I just don’t feel like fishing. I think he would fish every day if he could.

There is a big difference in the way we fish. I only go on days that are not too hot or too cold… and forget about fishing in the rain. I fish for a while and if I don’t catch anything right away, I usually give up and start taking pictures, rock hunting or exploring. Joe will go fishing no matter what. He will fish in the heat, cold or the rain. The other day he went when the temperature was around 40 degrees. He said it was the best time to catch walleye. He will stay at it for hours even without a bite. He will continue to change lures or bait until he finally catches something. He rarely comes home empty handed because of his perseverance. Even if he doesn’t catch a thing, he seems satisfied.

I want to live my life for God like Joe fishes. My circumstances should not be the barometer for my level of passion or enthusiasm for him. I want to keep casting my cares on him and learn to be a fisher of men and be content in all circumstances.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Matthew 4:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Philippians 4:11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

No comments: