Monday, August 24, 2009

Fishing: The Fight

The best part of fishing can be the fight. Unfortunately, it can also be the most frustrating. When all goes well and the fight is vigorous and victorious, landing the fish, everything is great. When it doesn’t go so well, it can be discouraging. Sometimes a fish will make a run, go in a hole, under a rock or into the nearest pile of brush to try to escape, and many times it works. When it does, they get away with their lives… sometimes taking your tackle along with them.

Speaking of a fight, a husband and father with five kids at home, who plays worship for our church, has a full time job and a honey-do list that never ends doesn’t have a lot of spare time. I see him struggle at times between what he wants to do, needs to do, and loves to do, but he’s pretty good at getting his priorities straight and choosing the best thing. There are times in my life when I need some help in this area, especially when it comes to my relationship with God. Although I love God with all my heart, there are times when it’s difficult for me to manage my time with him. Other things I love or need to do sometimes crowd out what should be my number one priority.

I love God’s grace and I continually remind myself to live in it. It’s not like ‘I have to do x, y and z or God won’t have anything to do with me’… but I always see an obvious improvement in my attitude, level of patience, tolerance, etc. when I make him a priority. It makes me wonder why on earth I would rather be anywhere else.

John 15:5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

No comments: