Monday, October 12, 2009

It always comes down to love…

As I go through life, seeking God and doing my best to live for him, I learn so much. I always learn the most from the painful experiences Sometimes I get an image in my mind, about how things should go and then reality comes crashing in. When things don’t go the way I expect them to, for whatever reasons, I am usually hurt. I hoped to be accepted and I was rejected, I wished to be a part of something and I am told not to be… and it is painful. Opportunities come, and I am continually passed over, not chosen to participate in any way, and it makes me feel like something is wrong with me and that hurts.

What does it hurt? Some would say it’s my pride. Some would say be humble. This is what I pray about and strive for… humility. Being hurt, whether it’s my pride or just plain being hurt can cause many different reactions: anger, sorrow, grief, self-pity. I know these reactions are not good, and as soon as I realize it, I try to make the decision to turn those negative reactions into something much more constructive, like forgiveness, joy, hope and assurance. As long as I choose the right thing, and I am willing and ask for help, I know Jesus will help me do the rest. Sometimes it is slow and painful, but it’s better than staying in all that junk.

There are other things that go along with these attempts of mine to correct my bad reactions. There is a burning desire to do what I feel God has called me to do that cannot be quenched. If I can’t do it where I thought I was supposed to, I must wait… or see if God has other avenues for me. When he does, that is a great outlet. It helps me deal with much of the frustration and pain. Waiting is hard. There is also the pain that comes from being rejected and misunderstood. It hurts when it is obvious that someone perceives you as a threat when all you want to do is help. It is even harder when you are treated like and told something is wrong with you, but the other person cannot or will not communicate with you to work through any of it.

These are tough things to deal with and when they happen, I have to remember that Jesus always accepts me… I am never rejected by him… and that is where I find peace. I also know that he can make even these tough things into something good.

As I deal with these issues, I learn so much about how I need to treat others. Every word I say, every choice I make, every time I include or exclude someone, it affects them. We all have this insecurity in us from past rejection. The way we are treated or how we treat others either drives a wedge, compounding the negative effects of being rejected, or heals, drawing us closer because of love. I’m beginning to believe that every weakness or fault we perceive in others somehow comes from a lack of love… and only love can help. Love does not reject. Love is unconditional. If we want to treat others well, it always comes down to love.

In a perfect world, a broken heart is always healed.


1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

No comments: